Races

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Saturday March 26th

I had been looking forward to this run for a LONG time since I would be in Naperville and able to join my long time friend, Allison, the Ironwoman. We are close enough (and I had given her enough warning) that even though our paces are drastically different it was way more important to run together.



We met up at the Prairie Path in Wheaton and the morning could not have started any better. The song on the radio that I was blasting in the car as she pulled up was Journey's Don't Stop Believin'. This was definitely a positive sign, as this was one of the songs they played right before her Ironman in September. I was ecstatic and nearly burst to tears right then.




Ironman Wisconsin



Kristin and Allison (two of my inspirations for this marathon)



(TJ and I supporting Allison)


Unfortunately, my enthusiasm faded only after about the first mile when I knew something was wrong. I just wasn't feeling right and told her I probably should stop. I felt quite faint and sat down right on the path. I tried to get up and walk a little bit, but had to stop again. This happened a couple more times and I was literally heartbroken. I couldn't have asked for a better friend, who really had 20 miles to run that day, but made it her priority to make sure I was okay. I kept trying to tell her to go on, but she wouldn't have it. I had finally come to the realization that I probably shouldn't continue, when we had the brilliant idea of trying some of my Gu. Surprisingly, within literally a minute, I felt significantly better. I probably let on that I was feeling a little better than the reality, but I didn't want to pass up this opportunity to run with her.



We continued for a cold 12 miles and it was great. I picked her brain for running and racing tips and we had plenty of time to catch up on our personal lives. She led me back to where our cars were and continued on to finish her additional 8 miles.


We kept a nice clip finishing in 1:57. Thanks Al for the great run, I hope we can do it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment