Races

Monday, April 25, 2011

You Know You're a Runner When...

A few months back, I came across this list of truths for runners. Sadly, nearly all of them now apply to me. Here are some of my thoughts:

You know you're a runner when...

Your first thought when you look at the weekly weather forecast is, "When can I fit in my runs?"

You have more running clothes than regular clothes in your laundry pile. I recently went on a shopping spree and intended to buy a whole bunch of new clothes for me...I walked away with a new pair of running socks, SmartWool of Course.

You've lost a toenail. And you tell people, "It's not that bad." Currently I am without two toenails.

You smirk when non-runners ask you, "So how long is this marathon?" This actually makes me angry.

You have a drawer full of medals and other race souvenirs that you're not sure what to do with. Can't relate, yet:)

You go into Starbucks more often to use the bathroom than to actually buy coffee. Not limited to Starbucks, add gas stations in general.

You no longer make fun of fanny packs because your running belt looks very similar (although cooler) to one. I actually considered wearing a fanny pack as an alternative.

You've used an old race T-shirt to wash your car, dust furniture, or clean something else. Okay, maybe.

Your treadmill has more miles on it than your car. Don't own a treadmill and have actually grown to loathe them.

You get an invitation to a wedding and you automatically think about what race the date will conflict with. Not necessarily true, but have been planning my summer schedule around possible races.

You have dreams about showing up to a race late or not wearing any clothes. Thankfully, no.

You're not embarrassed to wear spandex. True, but that is thanks to my years of playing volleyball.

The salespeople at your local running shop know you by name. True, but that is because I run with them too!

You're always hungry. True!

You know how to take a cup of water from a water stop without choking on it or spilling it all over yourself. I think this is true.

At least one of your web site usernames or email addresses has the word "run" or "runner" in it. Thankfully this is not true.

You know where your illiotibial band is located. Yep.

You no longer hate port-a-johns. In fact, there have been times when you've been very happy to see one. OMG...I can tell you where every one is located in Central Illinois.

You wear your running watch even when you're not running. ("It matches, right?") Yes

You've had your running shoes for three months and you know it's already time to replace them. Just switched them out in prep for the marathon.

You spend more time researching running routes than local restaurants when traveling to a new city. So, so true.

Your physical therapist's receptionist knows you by the sound of your voice on the phone. Nope


You know where exactly one mile from your front door is (in any direction). Of course.

You know how to correctly spell and pronounce plantar fasciitis. I believe so, although I've heard it pronounced two ways and both times people claim their way is right. I can tell you it is part of your heel...I think?!?

You own more pairs of running socks than dress socks. SmartWool, of course.

You get jealous when you're driving in your car and pass runners. Not only that, I wonder how long they're going, what they're training for, and how they're feeling.

You spent more timing researching a running watch than you did your car. Plan to...next purchase, Garmin.

You're excited for your next birthday because it means you'll be in a new age group at road races. I guess so.

You spend more money on running clothes than work or casual clothes.
True

You frequently get asked, "When's your next race?" Not necessarily.

When you hear PR, you automatically think "personal record", not "public relations". True.

You pack more running clothes than bathing suits when going on a beach vacation. False...I love beachwear and have too much of it.

You have running clothes and an extra pair of running shoes in your car, "just in case." Now that is just crazy.

Your holiday wish list can be fulfilled at any running or sporting goods store. Becoming true.

You have several drawers dedicated to running shirts. Kind of, more so dedicated to athletic shirts (volleyball ones)


You get excited when the new Runner's World comes in the mail.


Your Facebook or Twitter updates frequently involve running. Check.

Your only recent photos of you alone are race photos. Yep.

You always have your next race on the calendar. Uh huh.

Your runs are sometimes longer than your commute to work or school. And sometimes I even run to work:)

Your running partners know more about your bodily functions than your significant other. Wish this wasn't the case..."What happens with running buddies, stays with running buddies."

1 comment:

  1. Jill, First time I've visited your blog. This is wonderful! Hope you're feeling better about race day. After all, there are porta potties almost every mile. You can get in line for them right behind me! Sue Ellen

    ReplyDelete