Races

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Last Long Run with the Group




I met the Second Wind Running Group Sunday morning at the start site for the race. As I drove there, I was freaking out. I had butterflies in my stomach and felt like hurling. It occurred to me that the marathon was only two weeks away and that it is practically go time. The next time I would be driving that way would be the morning of the race...YIKES!




It was a bit colder than we've been getting used to lately. So, I bundled up and made the group pose for a shot before heading out.




L to R--Matt, Donna, Mike, Sue Ellen, Del, me


We ran the half marathon route. I felt decent throughout the run, although my stomach, once again, started to give me trouble around mile 8. This was on my mind the rest of the run, but I tried to pretend everything was okay. I was a little caught off guard by the two gentle inclines that I noticed between mile 8 and 9.5. I really thought the whole course was fairly flat except for around mile 25 when there is a nice, long gentle incline. I guess I'm glad I know, so I will be prepared on race day. Conversation was great, as always. I enjoyed the time with the group and really appreciate all the support.



We came back in finishing at 2:23 including a restroom stop and one or two water breaks. I beelined for the port-o-potty as soon as it was in sight.

The group visited afterwards and headed over to Houlihan's for a celebratory breakfast. The service was less than desirable, but we still had a good time. I had brought snacks to share with the group as a thank you and they came in handy while we waited FOREVER for our food to come. I don't think I'll be visiting Houlihan's again any time soon.



I also made some cards using Wordle for each of my running mates. I've really had a blast throughout this process and hope I can get my mind straight by April 30th.


No comments:

Post a Comment