Races

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Some Inspiration

I have been making it a point to find motivation for this endeavor I am taking on. Last week I had the pleasure of going to a running movie with Donna, one of the pace leaders from my group. Last Thursday, My Run was showing nationwide for a one time viewing. It featured Terry Hitchcok, who ran the equivalent of 75 marathons in 75 days.


The documentary started quite emotionally, as it detailed his wife's fight against breast cancer. This was especially hard for me because it paralleled the loss of Tony's mom in September 2008. The movie did pick up and made for some great inspiration for me at this point in my training. With little support, and essentially no running background, the 56 year old man ran from St. Paul Minneapolis to Atlanta for the opening ceremonies of the Olympics in 1996. I did think of him on my run on Sunday when we were out in the middle of nowhere. I pictured him running and wondered what he was thinking throughout all those miles.



I also attended a speaker series through the running group last night. There was a panel of speakers to discuss the nuts and bolts of the Illinois Marathon. I got a few insights, but also walked away with a renewed sense of hope and excitement for April 30th.


No comments:

Post a Comment