Races

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Warmer Weather

Finally the temperatures are starting to pick up and I only wore a short sleeved shirt with a lighter running jacket. I did an out and back through Parkland for the first part of my 9 miler today. This week was a step back week and I really appreciated the lighter load.

For whatever reason, the first leg was a bit emotional for me. I think it had something to do with the fact that 30 minutes before leaving for my afternoon run, I checked the mail. We received a postcard from a dear friend, who now lives in North Carolina. Her husband has been deployed once again and it just hit me hard for some reason. I thought a lot about him and other people in my life throughout the run. This left me teary eyed and struggling for my breath. While this wasn't where I thought my mind would be today, it was great.
I spent a lot of time thinking about everyone who has been in my life at some point or another. It reminded me how important my friends and family are to me, no matter how far away they might be or how little I may see them. Throughout this marathon process alone, I've had so many loved ones checking in on me through emails, texts, phone calls. It has been so encouraging to have everyone on my side and worried about what I am eating the night before, if I've been on my feet too long, or how I'm going to find time for my long run.
It was hard stopping back home for my Gu, when I saw Tony and M&M doing this...

It took all my will power to get back on the road and finish the last 5 miles. I have this bad habit of stressing out about all the things I have to do in my life and I have a tendency to freak out a bit. Fortunately Tony has learned to live with this. Every once in awhile I get a reality check and I remember that I really need to slow down and appreciate everything I have. I did continue out, even though I really wanted to stay and help build the rest of the snowman.

Nothing too exciting to report about the rest of the run, just that I'm glad I've finally decided to try this marathon thing out. I've still got a long way to go, but I'm confident that I can do this...there are so many other people doing way more out there, the least I can do is suck it up and run.

1 comment:

  1. Nice Jill! The warmer weather really helped this weekend. Glad you had another good run!

    ReplyDelete