Races

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Holy Mother of Coldness

Needless to say the 3 degree temperature that felt like -7, combined with a fairly full stomach after eating out for dinner, were both less than desirable reasons for me to run tonight. Somehow I managed to suck it up and even dragged Ellie along with for the ride.

On our way home from dinner, I himmed and haaed over whether I should go to the gym or run outside. I consulted Tony, weighing my options, one of which was the fact that I really didn't think it was a good idea to run outside in the dark all by myself and I felt like it was too cold to take Ellie with me on my run. Being the concerned husband that he is, Tony's response was, "Do you really think some madman is going to be hanging out in these temperatures to assault a girl? That would be some dedication."

Little M&M stretching with her momma. Yes, I have 2 pairs of pants on and knee high PINK socks. I think those were the reason my toes were so cold...Smart Wool from now on.

The cold temperatures beat out the treadmill tonight because I knew in the long run it is actually quicker for me to just run outside than drive to the gym and back. It turns out it's not really the crazy men lurking outside I need to be concerned about. Instead I should be more worried about the horrendous 20something Parkland College drivers that have no regard for runners. In their defense, yes, the road curves around making it more difficult to see pedestrians, and there are portions of the road that are less lit, but COME ON PEOPLE! I most have dodged at least 5 cars while rescuing Ellie from an early death and had a few choice words for the young students that were either busy smoking or texting while driving.

My toes, fingers, and nose were all freezing during the first mile. I think even the tear drops in my eyes began to form icicles. I kept a quicker pace though and came back in around 40 minutes (which included multiple complete stops to make sure I was out of the way of the drivers who were going upwards of 40 mph in a 25 mph zone).

Ellie was eager to get back as her pace drastically slowed. She might have been affected by the frozen whiskers that covered her face.

All in all, a good run. Remind me to save night runs at Parkland for when it is light out.

No comments:

Post a Comment