Races

Monday, February 7, 2011

Super Bowl Sunday run

This weekend was a busy one for me and I have very little mental power to put together a cohesive posting. I made it back to Champaign Saturday evening with little time to prep for the long run on Sunday.

Old Man Winter just couldn't get enough and decided to add 3 more inches of snow to Champaign on Saturday and remained in the forecast for all of Sunday. I wasn't sure how my new shoes would fend in the snow covered roads, but they worked out okay.


Before
My stomach seemed to be cooperating well Sunday morning despite the fact that I was not too mindful of my diet the day before. I met the group at a new location for a new route that had very few bathroom options (something that is on my mind a lot!). I was a little worried that the weather would keep people away, but both of my pace leaders were there so it was great.

We took it a little slower due to the snow and I was okay with that since I would be going a little further that day, 13 miles. Mike and Donna blocked the wind during part of the route and I jokingly asked if that was in the job description of the pace leaders.

Mike split off after 8 miles since he had done a race before, so that left me with Donna and occasionally Dan (a retired math professor who must really worry about his eyes because he wears massive ski goggles during all winter runs). Donna and I had a great visit and got to know each other a little better, which is to be expected since we were out there for so long.

I felt pretty good throughout the run, fueling with both jelly beans and the delicious chocolate Gu that I would gladly eat no matter when it is. I was eager to see the orange turn around spray paint, but it came soon enough. We made it back somewhere around 2:30...slow and steady I keep telling myself. I am trying to figure out how it was that I ran this time, but I guess that does include snow, 3 water stops, as well as a bathroom break (which included trying to figure out how to get out of the gas station...that is a whole other post!).
AFTER
My post-run snack was only part of my bagel this time since I neglected to buy some more chocolate milk. Hosting a Super Bowl party at our house kept my mind away from my sleepiness and aching shins. My shins (especially my left) have been bothering me the day of and after the long run this week and last. I hope to make it to yoga and will squeeze in some extra stretching and maybe some ice tonight.
I'm glad to have come out well from the run and am trying not too look to far ahead into the uncharted territory that is approaching. I've done 13.1 before, but nothing further. This should be interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment