Races

Monday, February 21, 2011

16 miles...A New Milestone

I was a good combination between nervous and excited for Sunday's run since it would be the longest I have ever run. I got a decent night's rest, only to be woken up around 4:30 by Tyler and the horrendous rain that was pounding outside. After feeding Tyler, I went back to bed and prayed that the rain would stop in time for my run. Thankfully the running gods listened.

I met the group just before 8am and used the most disgusting port-o-potty I think I have ever seen before we left. It was significantly colder than the 50 degree temps the forecast had shown, so I was pretty chilly in my capris and lighter jacket. Fortunately I threw in a headband for my ears.

The route was an 8 mile loop that covers a good portion of part of the marathon route. We had our usual group with both pace leaders, so I knew it would be an entertaining run. I noticed the wind right away and it really didn't let up until around mile 5, so that made the run colder and tougher.

We had great conversation throughout the run, so great that I only checked my watch once before we finished and that was at mile 13. I felt phenomenal. My knees and hips did ache a bit starting at about mile 10, but I think that is to be expected. The group took a short bathroom break and quick stops at the water station, but we were still able to come in just under my goal time with my watch reading 2:59.52.

I'm probably not pushing myself as hard as I could, but everyone keeps telling me with a first marathon, you should just put the miles in and enjoy it. I'll take that.

I felt pretty good the rest of the day and was even perky enough to chase M&M around the house by dinner time. I hope I feel this way in 2 weeks when I have my 18 miler.

No comments:

Post a Comment