Races

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Full Week Report

I came off of a runner's high leading into my short week of running. Since the long run was on Sunday, I only had to run Tuesday and Thursday this week. It was a nice break, but I think that it negatively contributed to my long run on Saturday.

Tuesday was an easy 4 miles that I did right away after school. We were scheduled for more snow...yes...more snow. I was able to sneak the run in before any snow came and enjoyed myself.

Thursday was a busy day for me since Tony was leaving right away after work to head to Vermont for a wedding that he was in this weekend. I escaped school without anyone seeing me because I left before I was supposed to. Luckily our principal doesn't give us the evil eye even if she had seen me duck out early. I was dressed oddly because I hadn't fully intended to run outside, but it was so nice I couldn't pass it up---sorry no pic. Since I didn't pack my running jacket, I put a vest that I had worn all day on over my gear. I spent 4 of my 7 miles playing through a confrontation with an acquaintance that occurred this week. I won't go into the details, but needless to say I was not happy that I devoted over half of my run to a man I don't see eye to eye with on nearly anything. I stayed fairly close to school and was able to get in at least 2 miles of the actual marathon course.

When I picked up the kids from daycare our babysitter could tell I had just come from working out and that prompted my telling her that I was training for a marathon. She asked how far that was and later asked if it was a mini thing or a full. It baffles me that many people have absolutely no concept of what a marathon actually entails.

My parents were nice enough to come visit for the weekend while Tony was away. This also allowed me to run with the group on Saturday, something I don't always get to do since Tony works most Saturdays. The group was a big one (at least 50) and we looked pretty mighty when we first started out, but spread out quite a bit as the 12 miles went on. All in all it was a decent run (2:15 with one bathroom break and 3 water stops), but I didn't feel as fresh as I had the week before for an even longer run. Fortunately the others felt similarly, so that made me feel a bit better.

Some highlights from the morning included a reappearance of the yellow devil horns, the local news filming our group outside of the running store (I was about 2 feet too far to the left to make the frame), Del coining the race the "Stupid Ass Marathon," meeting some new runners--one who even knows my husband, and getting our group shirts (picture to come later).

Next week is going to be a tough one and to top that off, the run moves to 7am...ugh.

1 comment:

  1. Hi mrs. Cappa I go to jefferson.. My friend showed it to me :) good luck with the running!

    ReplyDelete