Races

Monday, April 28, 2014

6 week post op appointment and 1st bill

Today I saw Dr. Ho for my 6 week post op appointment.  He seems to be building a reputation of being notoriously behind schedule and I only ever am able to get afternoon appointments, which seems to make it even worse.  Today's 1:15 appointment finished just before 3pm and then a 2+ hour car ride bike home.

I have come to really like Dr. Ho and firmly support his approach.  Since he did a psoas release on me, it made me a candidate for one of his research studies.  He is examining the recovery period necessary to regain strength after the illiopsoas lengthening.  A physical therapist assessed my strength in a few positions and used some fancy dancy tool in order to acquire numbers for the study.  The therapist was very friendly and he reaffirmed my positive opinion of Dr. Ho.  He mentioned that I am lucky to have had a surgeon with so much scope experience because his recoveries tend to go quicker.  The therapist mentioned that he had other patients who had seen other doctors and the recovery was not good because their scopes "weren't as clean as Dr. Ho's."  That was great to hear.

I didn't really have much to ask Dr. Ho and didn't really expect much out of the appointment.  After refreshing his memory on the specifics of my surgery, he seemed surprised that I had returned to work after 3 weeks.  This was odd to me considering he was the one who encouraged this just 3 weeks earlier!  He mentioned that "with a person like me" he is okay pushing things a little more aggressively and gave me the go ahead to try a yoga class and hinted that I may be able to run before the 12 week mark.  Despite this, he was surprised at what seemed to be my lack of flexibility.  He said he would have expected more flexibility from "someone like me."--that must have been the phrase of the visit.  I have to somewhat disagree with him and contribute this to his (and his fellow's) haphazard quick movement and assessment of my leg.  Coming into the surgery, my flexibility was never a problem and compared to other group fitness junkies, I believe I am fairly flexible.  Now, obviously, post surgery, my movement on the operative side is more limited than in the past, but it seems to be coming along.  I will consult Andy, my therapist, but will add in some yoga and stretching to see what I can do.

I've read a significant amount about hip arthroscopy and recovery and would say that my experience is not unique.  Dr. Ho and I discussed the fine line between working hard to progress and doing too much.  It would be convenient if there was some magical tool that helped patients know when to stop and what worked best, but unfortunately, it is just trial and error.  I'll see him again in another 6 weeks on June 13th and, in the meantime, I intend to straddle the line between too much and not enough.

I also received my first bill related to my treatment from Dr. Ho which charged me the amount of the fluoroscopy from surgery day that my insurance will not cover.  I intend to keep a close eye on this and am willing to share what the total ends up costing me.  To date, with Dr. Ho, I've had 3 appointments with a $50 copay for each visit and now $249.73 for me to pay of the $1,921 billed to insurance.  Without looking back at my records, prior to surgery, I spent around $500 out of pocket on physical therapy and close to that (if not more)for my Xrays, MRI, and MRA.  I am not quite sure how my insurance measures up, but I am just thankful to have it and that I am satisfied with seeing Dr. Ho as my in-network provider.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're doing great! I really don't want to total up the $ for all the hip related stuff. :/

    ReplyDelete