Races

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

15 Days Out

Today I tested out the therapy pool at our Y.


Stephens Family YMCA - Champaign, IL
Champaign YMCA, therapy pool is in the back corner not seen
source
I had asked Bree if it would be okay for me to try this out and she advised me to wait until I had added resistance to my exercises.  Despite her recommendation, I knew I just wanted to test it out and see what would happen.  I had told myself I would get out if there were problems.  My mom pointed out that I am just like my dad who said the same things when he had his hip replaced a few years back.  

So, for 15 minutes, I walked forward and backward in the warm water.  I moved my leg around in circles and, at first, it seemed to be easier, but then I noticed the resistance of the water and my back began to bother me.  At that point, I decided it wasn't worth it for me to stay in.  

While I would consider myself to be a definite rule follower, I must admit that I am pushing it.  I am diligently completing my physical therapy exercises, but I am walking around my house with full weight on both legs.  In my defense, however, let me remind that my surgeon said I would be ahead of schedule since I do not have any anchors in.  He did suggest that I would be off of crutches by week 3 (except to use as a precaution while at work), which is just around the corner.  I have not experienced any pain as a result of walking and it has seemed like a natural progression.

I also tried driving today.  Dr. Ho said I was clear to drive as soon as I felt comfortable.  I believe I would have been okay to drive after 1 week, but I did not have a need to attempt it.  I will drive again on Friday because I have another physical therapy appointment and I'll be back to my regular work schedule starting on Monday.  

I don't intend to get back into the therapy pool until POSSIBLY this weekend.  Tomorrow I will take it very easy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment