Races

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

2 Weeks Post Op

I can hardly believe that it has been two weeks already.  There are things that have gone by really quickly like time off of work, and then there are others that are dragging by like the whole recovery process.  Each day continues to go well, but I am still far from where I would like to be.

Yesterday I sent an email to the therapist I worked with to ask about using the stationary bike.  She gave me the all clear to use it without resistance, which I intend to do tonight at the Y.  I will couple that with the therapy exercises and some added stretching.

I can get around well and do not use my crutches inside my home.  I definitely favor my left leg and walk with a little bit of a limp.  When I concentrate and force myself, I can walk relatively normally, or at least I think so.  I can not, however, lift my right leg well and the psoas continues to be tender.  I use my arm to lift my right leg when I need to stand, get in the car, or something similar.  What seems to be a considerable amount of scar tissue is forming underneath the incision areas (which are nearly healed by the way) and this concerns me.  I take time to massage the area, but I have no idea what I am doing.  I was reading about how scar tissue build up can drastically hinder your range of motion.  I plan to talk more about this with my therapists.

I did my exercises one time already today and, like I said, will do them again tonight.  All seem to be going well except that I do notice my psoas in at least one of the movements and I don't believe I am correctly doing one of them.  I definitely cheat and use my back to try and move my leg forward, which is fine and dandy, but is not what I am supposed to be doing nor will it strengthen the area that needs to be addressed.

For the abductor and adductor exercises, the therapist recommended using one of my son's toy balls and I thought having a little Mickey Mouse on my side couldn't hurt.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're doing great for 2 weeks out! Mickey is cute lol

    ReplyDelete