Races

Friday, April 18, 2014

One Month Post Op

One month ago today, I embarked on a new journey into the hipster world.  I think things are moving in the right direction and I am making considerable progress with my rehabilitation.  Co-workers continue to encourage me, well, most of them (the ones who don't call me gimpy), when they see me crutchless and walking pretty normally.  What they don't see, however, is that I still have significant healing to do.  I have been struggling with hip problems for well over two years, so I've gotten skilled at hiding my pain and just trekking on.  I've had to.  Nobody wants to hear about my hip day in and day out, especially my husband.  Quite frankly, neither do I.

Remaining optimistic and hopeful for my active future has helped me to not dwell on the little aches and nagging sensations that are still present (at times) in the hip/groin area.  My physical therapist reminded me this week that medical professionals recommend giving the bone 12 weeks to properly heal.  So, in the next two months, the priority is on my healing and getting stronger and not worrying about the what-ifs.  Admittedly, it is kind of refreshing to not be on a training schedule and having to plan my weekends around when I'm getting my long run in!

Look at me, squatting down, pain free!

Each day my exercises get a little bit easier, even though my therapist continues to build on my routine.  Currently, I am using a lighter resistance band on my leg lifts in each direction, one of the weight machines for my squats, and the stability ball to practice seated leg raises while focusing on my core.  I am up to biking 20 minutes continuously with some resistance and for the purpose of getting a cardiovascular workout.

My workday usually starts painfree, but by lunch time, I notice some aches and try to sit down more.  I am still limiting my walking throughout the day, but have begun to  monitor the hallway with less fear of jostling the hip.  I really haven't iced much in the last week and have even caught myself joining in on some of the dance parties that periodically occur with my own children.

I think back to the first few days and even week or two after surgery and remember how I couldn't comprehend healing enough to be functional for work.  I'm happy to say that I'm on the road back to my normal self.  Slow and steady has often been my motto in races, so I'll use that to get me through the next few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment