Races

Friday, April 4, 2014

The Silver Lining

I have been fortunate to be able to recover and relax for the last week before going back to work practically by myself.  It is rare, since having our two beautiful children, that I get extensive alone time.  As I mentioned before, when our kiddos went to hang out with my family for a few days, my husband immediately questioned what we did pre-children.  While I wouldn't choose to have surgery, the last three weeks have rejuvenated me and gave me the mental break from work that will help me positively finish out the school year.

Yesterday and today, I did next to nothing and it was heavenly.  My leg feels the best yet and I am hopeful for what the coming weeks/months will bring.  I continue to improve with the exercises and have been walking up and down the stairs without crutches and with one foot on each step like the normal way to use stairs.  I'd like to reiterate that I truly believe that my recovery has been so successful because my tear was only partial.

Today I had another physical therapy appointment with Bree.  I was honest with her about using the pool and she said I probably shouldn't have done that and should still wait at least another week.  I appreciate her honest approach and that we are able to get along well with jokes in between exercises.  She mentioned that she believes I have a little femoral anteversion.  Bree is the first to have mentioned this to me, even though I have read a lot about other people's stories with this.  I will be sure to do even more reading on this because I was intrigued when she said that this would make my body work a little harder to fire some of the muscles I've been having difficulty using.

Physical Therapy location with Bree
She ran me through a few new exercises and we worked hard to activate the glutes.  She and I both got a kick out of my attempts.  I'm sure she gets a chuckle out of some of the things I say because I am brutally honest with her.."I really suck at this!" or "Wow, I really don't have any butt muscles."  or "Ha, I was really wrong about thinking I could do this!"

Bree is excited for me to show Andy what we've been doing and agreed that Andy is the better fit as a therapist for me because of his running  background.  I look forward to working with him starting on Monday when I return to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment