Races

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Turkish Get-Up and a Treat

Last week marked the last of my two physical therapy sessions per week.  I have now graduated to 1 per week and Andy took to heart Dr. Ho's recommendation of pushing me.  At the end of last week's session, he told me to come to my next appointment ready to work and that it was going to be so much fun, for him.  I was actually giddy with excitement to hear this, but was working through the logistics in my head of beginning my workday, going to PT at 10am during my plan period on Tuesday, and then continuing my workday.

I've been attempting to return to my early workouts and have made it to the gym a few times by 5:30am and bike for 20-25 minutes before doing my pt exercises.  This is about as much as I've been able to do in addition to the actual PT sessions.  I intend to build in some more cardio starting tomorrow and will continue the strength exercises 3 days a week.

Today Andy introduced me to the Turkish Get-Up.  He asked me if I had ever done it before, which I hadn't, been I was familiar with this:



and laughed at the thought.  Andy emphasized the move and broke it down as simply as possible, but I still need some fine-tuning before I work in weights.

It will be a long while before I even attempt this move at the gym because I look and feel ridiculous.

I have been noticing that I am getting significantly stronger the last two weeks or so.  I don't feel unstable in my hips and all of the lunges and squats are getting easier.  It won't be long before Andy has me doing those weighted as well.  Despite my positive progression, I still get pain in the groin and know that I am far from healed.  My recovery, like I've said before, is not unique to others' that I read about.  This surgery has people progress and then regress, progress, regress, etc.

To celebrate my progress, I treated myself to one of my guilty pleasures, Lululemon.  I had been on a hiatus for awhile since I was predominantly swimming for at least 6 months, but have now fallen off the wagon and anticipate a few more overly priced purchases.  Maybe once I master the Turkish Get-Up, I can treat myself again.


1 comment:

  1. Ha, the Turkish get-up is awkward even when you aren't coming off injury! I actually know how to do it, but can't imagine trying it anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete