Races

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Phase 1 for Return to Running

The last week has been a little bit of a downer in that my hip flexor has definitely been noticeable and I've reached a bit of a plateau (in my opinion).  My hip and back were also experiencing additional pain as a result of my monthly visitor.  Due to our traveling for Memorial Day weekend, I was a little more lax with my exercises and I noticed it.  Mentally and emotionally I am tired of the easier workouts (easier to say now when I'm not crazily training).  I voiced this to Andy today at my pt session and, as a result, he not only took it easy on me, but he also gave me his Phase 1 for returning to run program.


Phase 1 is a plyometric sequence to simulate the impact your body takes while running.  If the hip handles the exercises, I'll be ready to move on to Phase 2, which he generously gave me as the carrot to dangle in front of me.  The series has 6 levels to use as a test to see if you are ready.  If I am able to complete each level, which consists of 3-4 sets of different types of hops, then (in theory) I am ready to begin phase 2.


In the meantime, I'll keep with my regular exercises including my side planks, which I am slowly building to not having a leg on the ground.  

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh, return to running! So exciting :) I hope it goes well!

    ReplyDelete