Races

Sunday, May 18, 2014

2 months Post Op

Today marks my 2 month post op anniversary.  It wasn't until week 7 that I really felt good about my hip.  I've had mostly pain free days the last week and a half and I am elated.  On occasion, if I twist funny, my groin sometimes pops or I get a shooting pain.  I have learned that I notice my hip more on days where the weather is funny and the few days leading up to my period.

Decreasing physical therapy to once a week has probably been just what my body needed to move towards the pain free world.  This allows me to alternate strength and cardio and still do core every day.  I have been trying to hit the gym up bright and early and have stuck to bike or elliptical.  I'm beginning to add weights to my leg exercises and Andy is really excited about me mastering the TGU (turkish get up).  I, on the other hand, could do without it.  I feel silly doing it and when I actually attempted it at the gym on Saturday, I hurt my knee on the non-operative leg.

For the first time in over 2 years, sleeping comfortably is happening regularly.  This is definitely a perk to the surgery and I remind myself that even if I never fully return to my same active lifestyle, this was worth it.  Up until this weekend, the thought of wearing high heels or wedges terrified me, but alas, yesterday I put some wedges on.  The last time I wore them, I reluctantly sacrificed comfort for fashion.  I will put them to the test on May 30th when I wear them for my students' promotion ceremony.

2 comments:

  1. When were you able to do cardio- and what kind/how long? I am one week post-op and feel like I can ride the bike just fine, but eager to get back to more and different cardio!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your surgery went well! I stuck to biking per my doctor and physical therapist. Even though my recovery is going well, I am just now adding elliptical. I wouldn't say I am getting a great cardio workout, but I feel like I'm doing something when I bike or elliptical for 20-40 minutes. Not sure if this is helpful to you, but do be careful despite our eagerness to return!

      Delete