Races

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

11ish Weeks?

Last I had checked in, things were going very well.  I was fairly painfree and pleased with my decision to have the surgery.  I have had a bit of a setback in the last two weeks, though.  This may be as a result of me trying to wear my wedge heels to the promotion ceremony or re-introducing running into my life.  Now, before you go assuming that I did something crazy, the re-entry program is very minimal.

My strength progression and other areas of improvement indicated that I was ready for this.  I do not believe I tried something too early.  Further, in the last two weeks, I "jogged" for a grand total of about 10 minutes on 3 different attempts.  Each time, I walked for about 4 minutes and followed my walking with approximately 1 minute of jogging.  This was not painful.  The day after, and two days after, and three days after, though, have been a different story.

I am no longer sleeping well and have put myself back on a NSAID regimen.  Currently, I'm icing my hip while writing this blog and prepping dinner.
Photo courtesy of my 6 year old daughter, Macy

BBQ Turkey Meatballs
I contacted my therapist last Tuesday, the day after my appointment with him, and informed him of my increasing pain that mimicked pre-surgery stuff.  He encouraged me to rest most of the week, which I did and we resorted to plan B today, which consisted of many manual techniques during my session.  I left feeling beyond relaxed because I basically got a 30 minute massage on my ass.  Now, however, I am in a bit of pain, which I believe is just as a result of poking around and the release techniques they used on me.

I'm a bit frustrated and will interrogate my surgeon on Friday when I see him for my 3 month appointment. Someone recommended that I see if they will prescribe a more serious anti-inflammatory to help.

While I began this post saying I did not believe I tried things too early, I may be willing to admit that maybe it was ambitious.  However, both Dr. Ho and my therapist encouraged this progression and I guess the only way to know if my body was ready for this was to try it out.

To those who are reading--thank you to the two of you and I wish you the best as you continue to recover.  I will keep you posted and will continue actively living my life running around and doing things the best I can, just without a formal running workout:)


5 comments:

  1. Hi! I haven't commented yet, but I've been reading. I'm a few weeks ahead of you (14 weeks post-op) and I still haven't tried running yet, but I am taking a conservative route. Keep updating - I like reading about your progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hanging in there with me! I'm actually feeling really good today so I am keeping my fingers crossed:)

      Delete
  2. Are you done with PT? I feel like I'll be going for months, just as the "regime" is followed. I feel like I'm sort of over PT now even though I know better than to stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I have been down to once a week for awhile and now he added me for a second day this week. I believe he is going to start just doing manual stuff when I see him (like he did yesterday) and expects me to continue my exercises on my own. He tested my strength yesterday and my non-op and op leg are nearly at the same strength! He is very pleased with my strength. I'm feeling pretty good today...I did go to yoga last night and a yoga version (BodyFlow) this morning.

      Delete
  3. I'm sure you'll get back to running, it might just be on a little different time table. Good luck at the dr on friday!

    ReplyDelete