Races

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

I guess it has been decided

Tonight I went to the Second Wind Running Club's Training Program kickoff. I actually signed up for the 1/2 marathon training program with them. After receiving confirmation, I emailed back and INQUIRED about the possibility of switching to the full marathon. I was informed to talk to the person in charge when I got to the meeting. So, I did. However, they had already switched me to the full training program. I guess this means I'm doing it.

They had a great speaker who is a police officer and he talked about runner safety. He had a lot of great stories that he added a comical twist to and it really made me think about some things that I had never considered. For example, he worked undercover at a race to try and catch a group of robbers who sought out races. They found the "hidden" keys to runners' cars and would go into the wallets that are usually "hidden" in the glove compartment at races. Instead of taking the wallet, they snatch the 3rd credit card (one you don't use often and wouldn't notice if it was gone) and charge it up the wazoo. Runners don't typically notice anything until they get their credit card statement a month later...wow!

I am feeling a little apprehensive about jumping into this endeavor, but I am glad that it seems like the decision was sort of made for me. I had been toying with it for so long and looking for someone to just say, "Jill, do the race." I think I found my answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment