Races

Sunday, January 9, 2011

First Official Long Run

Today I completed my first long run for the marathon training program. I was a little nervous coming into the weekend because my long run last week was only 6 miles. Between October and December of 2010 my goal was to build up to 10 miles so that I would be ready for this long run if I decided to go the marathon route. I had successfully worked up to 9 miles, but then got sick on and off throughout December and didn't put in many miles.
I was mindful of what I ate last night, although pasta was not on our menu. We had a chicken burrito typed meal that I made. I did not overload and actually resisted any dessert. I also hydrated quite well yesterday. I went to bed early last night, but was woken quite a few times by Tyler. I also dreamed about running, but unfortunately in my dream I woke up late and was late for the group run.
When I woke up this morning, I made an english muffin and unpleasantly saw that it was a whopping 2 degrees. Thankfully I had set out 2 pairs of pants, 2 long sleeve shirts, my jacket, 2 pairs of gloves, and my new running hat, the devil horns.

Despite the fact that I got up with enough time and had everything prepared, I was running around like a crazy lady and didn't get out the door until 7:43. I drove to the designated parking lot which happens to be right next to the school I teach at, so it was quite convenient. There were at least 20 other crazies in the cold so I was glad to see I was not the only one.

After signing in, they started lining us up by pace. I was convinced I would be the only slow poke. Fortunately this was not the case. I didn't want to run with the 10 min pace group because I knew I was supposed to slow my pace down on the long runs. So I positioned myself just behind them and ran the first 4 miles with Del and Sue Ellyn. They made great company, but I picked it up a little bit after the aid station and made it with the 10 min group by about mile 6. I ran the last 4 miles with Bonnie, the 70 year old, who has run 46 marathons. I let her do the talking and really laughed at myself that I was struggling to keep up with this woman and she made a point to slow down to stay with me!

Overall, it was a good run. I felt great, even though my knees and hips started to really bother me the last 2 miles. I didn't wait around long afterwards and made it home in time to use the bathroom. Unfortunately for the 10 minutes that followed my bathroom stop, I felt HORRIBLE. I thought I was going to pass out, throw up, etc. I knew I was somewhat dehydrated since my water bottle froze at the top and I couldn't drink from it the last 4 miles. I wasn't hungry, but knew I was supposed to eat some within the first 30 minutes after the run (man, I've been reading too much). I also had a hard time of drinking my hot chocolate Tony had prepared for me that I had so looked forward to. Thankfully, I forced myself to eat a piece of bread and drink and feel pretty good now.

I'm still a little cold, even after a very hot shower, but I feel pretty good. Much better than I have after my long runs in November. I hope this is a good sign. Tomorrow I hope to try out yoga at the gym to start loosening my body up. We shall see how that goes!

Not sure how long it took me to finish, I accidentally messed my watch up at some point. I know I was probably somewhere between 10 and 11 minute miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment