Races

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

8 Days Post Hip Arthroscopy

I have been very fortunate to have the love and support of family members and friends to assist in my recovery.  As I mentioned a few posts ago, I carefully planned the best time to have my hip arthroscopy in a way that would best suit my family and recovery.  My two children, 5 and 3, have been with my family 2 hours away since Saturday.  About a half an hour after they  left, my husband said to me, "I don't know what we used to do without kids."  The house was quiet, things were put away and stayed in their little homes for nearly five days.  My husband and I enjoyed some quality time together just relaxing and allowing my body to heal.  I am forever grateful for my family as a result.

As scheduled, Tony met my dad half way for the great kid exchange.  While they did have a phenomenal time and were spoiled rotten, I do believe they missed us.


It didn't take too long for the kids to get back into their normal routine of chaos.

During the great kid exchange, I took about an hour to do some spring cleaning in my dresser and closet.  I sat on a bench as I sorted through clothes and reorganized things.  For the rest of the day, though, I chose to rest and tried to ice as much as I could.  

My hip continues to heal, but I am noticing lower back pain.  Towards the end of the evening my outer hip and deep inside the area was bothersome.  I used my fist to massage while I lied on the couch and tried to perform some subtle movement like a physical therapist probably would.  

My physical therapy is scheduled to begin on Monday and I am both excited and nervous.  I mentioned to my husband that I am worried about the fine line between pushing myself to get a better stretch and improve range of motion vs. doing too much.  As an athlete and runner specifically, I am used to aching.  I am used to running on tired legs.  Jumping right into the pool and starting to swim like I did the day before surgery seems feasible in my "athlete" mind.  However, I don't think that is exactly what the doctor ordered.  

4 comments:

  1. I'm 8 days today and I had PT the day after surgery so that was different. I saw my blog on your blog list, nice! Anyways just to compare, if you sit on a chair with your knees in front of you touching each other, can you bend all the way forward or no? I can't and I'm worried lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I can...I really think that is because my partial tear was not treated. I would have had more restrictions for sure. What kinds of things are you doing in pt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll email you pics of my PT instructions tomorrow. If I try to explain them you'll just laugh haha

      Delete
  3. Email me at jilliancappa@gmail.com. I'm so embarrassed by that other email! I don't know how to get it off this page. I use my gmail for this blog.

    ReplyDelete