Races

Friday, November 11, 2011

Veteran's Day 12 miler

Distance: 12 miles

Total time: 1:57

Average pace: 9:43


I had been looking forward to taking my long run on my day off and not having to fret about getting back to Tony and the kids. Macy and Tyler were at the babysitter's this morning, so I took my sweet time and really enjoyed the morning.


It started a little briskly as you can see. This was actually at 8:12 because we have yet to change this clock from Daylight Saving Time.







It didn't feel that cool and my first couple of miles were around 9:30s...I didn't want to push it since I am still testing out where exactly my hamstring is in all of this. I headed into Heritage Park...




and followed the path around Kaufman Lake...




and around near my school. I jumped on part of the marathon route and enjoyed the view of one of the golf courses and some of the nicer homes in Champaign...



I was still feeling pretty good at this point as I continued on to Hessel Park...


I took a quick break right around this garbage can. I ate my fruit snacks (something I think I am going to try in place of my Gus) and walked about 100 yards before continuing with my run.



I did start to feel a bit tired on my way back. Mile 7-9 seemed a bit slower and then I tried to pick up my pace slightly to make sure I stayed under a 10 minute average. I greatly noticed my hamstring the last three miles and in the last mile wondered to myself why I would even consider running a full marathon again. Of course, now that I am writing this, that thought has vanished, but I'm afraid that if my hamstring isn't 100%, I really should avoid the full.


I got pretty hot despite the cool temps and worked up quite a sweat by the time I arrived back home. It was great to get this long run out of the way and know that I can enjoy both Saturday and Sunday without needing to put in too many miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment