Races

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Hot Chocolate 15k Race Report

Listed Distance: 15k (9.3 miles) Garmin Distance: 9.63 miles



Official Time: 1:26.56



Overall Official Pace: 9:20 Overall Garmin Pace: 9:02





I first found out about this race in October of last year when the registration for 2010 was already full and I was just getting back into running. The idea of running for chocolate is a perfect match for me considering my typical chocolate eating method is shoving an entire handful into my mouth at a time. So, I verbally committed to this race over a year ago and was ecstatic when some of my friends agreed to do it as well.





There was a medical emergency at the expo Friday night when we were picking up our packets, so it took a bit longer than expected. Needless to say, we still found ways to entertain ourselves.









Once we were finally able to go in, I found a hat and shirt that I had to buy since they have the "Will Run for Chocolate" logo.



Our hotel was right across the street from the start, so we didn't have to get up too early for the 8:20 start. I debated on what to wear because I knew I would be cold waiting and warm once I started running. I decided to check my coat and pants and went with shorts. It turned out to be a perfect choice.





The gear check was a bit crowded, but the line moved fast and we were able to get a fake running shot with some of the city background.




Although I have been around large races as a spectator many times, this was the largest race I have actually run. I believe there were over 20,000 runners and this made me a little anxious. I had not submitted a time to be placed in a corral, so Jen and I both were to start in the open corral. I knew this would make my "trying to run as fast as I can--nothing slower than 9:30s" strategy a little tricky, but there really wasn't much I could do about it.


They had to re-route part of the 5k course at the last minute, so this delayed our start and we didn't make it through the actual start until close to 8:45. Jen and I spent the first two miles weaving through runners and this made me a little nervous after becoming exhausted at Allerton last week when I had to do the same thing. My Garmin went a bit crazy due to the building interference so I was again a bit anxious to know how we were actually doing. Turns out I didn't have much to worry about it because mile 1 was a 8:13 and mile 2 was at a 9:19 pace.


I went ahead without Jen (something we anticipated would happen) and continued to push myself through runners. I felt great the whole time, barely noticed my hamstring, and got a few laughs. My favorite conversation I overheard was near mile 5 when a girl asked the guy she was running with, "So, how long is a 15k?" The guy replied, "I don't really know, I think it is like 10 miles or something." To which the girl said, "No, I think it is like 7...we're almost done."


I continued passing people and felt like I was picking up my pace even in the last few miles. The last mile and half did seem to go on for awhile, but I actually clocked in faster times...8:32 and 8:41 for the last half mile. This made me happy considering I'm trying to use this as a time indicator for an upcoming half marathon.


We were in a bit of a time crunch after the race since we had to check out of the hotel at 12, but the event was well organized and the lines for chocolate went quickly. The fondue and hot chocolate hit the spot.





There was a stage with live entertainment and plenty of space for the post race party.








Overall, the race was good. It is a great distance and runners receive a jacket (that runs small), which is a nice alternative to a race shirt. If I were to do this again, I would try and get in a corral. I would also see about a late check out that doesn't cost $50 so that I could get as much out of the post race party as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment