Races

Monday, January 16, 2012

Active release technique

My it band continues to be a bother, so I am trying a new alternative...ART... Aka active release technique. I have known about this through my ironman friend and reading other blogs and quite a few people have had success in treating injuries. Another friend, who is a PT, had opinions about it and did recently bring it up as something to try.

I was able to get an appointment with the only chiropractor within 50 miles who does this. I was pleasantly surprised with his desire to figure out and treat the underlying issue instead of just the it band. After evaluation, he confirmed some things that I already knew (but didn't say)---I have a leg length difference which is most likely as a result of my pelvic twist. he believes these two things may be causing some overcompensation and I should work on my hip mobility (something Kristin would probably agree with). He was very interested in developing a training plan to work on those in addition to providing the ART I came for.

The treatment itself caused a good kind of pain and I walked away feeling good. Now, 3 hours later, my leg hurts quite a bit. he thinks 4 -6 treatments should do the trick. I am hoping he is right since I am itching to get back on the road. his credentials are quite impressive, so I hope his work with elite athletes pays off for me.

1 comment:

  1. Unlike cross fiber friction or trigger point therapy, ART involves the therapist and the client. In many cases, the therapist may move the client's body parts without the assistance of the client; the therapist will shorten the muscle, apply sustained pressure on the belly of the muscle, and gently stretch the limb to its full extension. Click to get the services of Chiropractor For Shoulder Pain, Active Release Chiropractic and Denver Colorado Chiropractors.
    This method is more commonly referred to as "pin and stretch." The muscle is pushed onto its proximal bone and elongated into a stretch.

    ReplyDelete